Monday, May 15, 2017

Bloody noses and African winds

Heya peeps

I'm just going to jump right into to my bullet points and explain the week like this because I feel like it's v easy haha so I hope y'all are ready

"The anziani from the district!...minus mistretta cause they're over an hour away"

- About the first half of the title, my allergies kicked in full force this week and I've been getting bloody noses like no other hahaha. It's not as bad this time around. Last year was awful because I didn't have any allergy pills (thanks pops for getting those to me), and it was soooo obvious haha. Sneezing, itchy eyes, bloody noses, the whole package haha. This year is better though. It's all just bloody noses. Literally every time I even lightly tap my nose it starts bleeding haha. It's made for some pretty awkward situations this week though but also some miracles! We walked into a little shop near a member's house because I needed to buy tissues and the guy at the cashier asked where we were from and long story short, we're going to go back and give him a Book of Mormon! Thank goodness for bloody noses😂

- AFRICAN WINDS THO. So every year around and during the summer months, there are these hot winds that come from Africa that carry sand and dirt all the way across the Mediterranean (cause it's really not that long anyways) and it shows up here in Sicily. They call it sirocco. Oh man it happened this week and I just remember walking out the door and straight into a wall of heat and dust and I honestly thought I'd die that day🙃

- Anziano Misa and I are getting along really well!...too well, I feel like haha. We actually end up laughing so hard that we can't do studies or leave the house and it's making it hard BUT it's a good time. One time though we went off about how if Italians wanted to say lol it would sound something like "ell-eh ohh ell-eh" hahahahahaha.

- We started playing soccer as a house each morning! I don't know why but getting up here and working out is super rough but as soon as there's soccer, I'm there. Getting up at 6:30 just to get up? Nahh. But getting up at 6 to play soccer? IM THERE!! It's been fun:)

"I passed out the other day and this is what happened while I slept hahaha"

- Did an exchange this week with the other anziani in our house which was fun! Haha I was with Anziano Haws (who got here last transfer) and we got some good work done. Most importantly though is that we found and bought a guitar for 7 euro haha. We walked past it the first time and the guy said he was selling it for 10 euro and we said "nah we don't have that kind of money" but came back not three minutes later and offered him 7 euro haha. Here in Palermo a lot of people just pull stuff out of garbages and sell it again on the street, and that's probably where the guitar came from. It's in pretty good condition though, so we're happy😂



"Those buildings in the background, though" 

- Seeing as how me and Anziano Misa are still both pretty new here, we spent a lot of time this week just trying to figure out the city and let's just say we discovered a lot of what doesn't work haha. Good news is though that we're happy and looking forward to this upcoming week!

Now for the more spiritual part of things! We've had some cool experiences and learned a lot!

- The first lesson is actually the same as the last bullet point I mentioned. Yes, its difficult and confusing, but we're loving it and learning that as we put forward  foot, God is lightening the burden we feel on our shoulders. Matthew 11:28-30!

"28 ¶ Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

Christ's ability to strengthen us and lift us up is real, but we have to do our part and come unto him. That's where we've been living this past week -- trying to make sure that we are actively engaged in the work and showing our faith! Because it's nice to say we have faith, but faith is more than a word, it's a life style. And honestly we've been blessed with so much, its just come down to us using what we've been given.

"We ate at an American place for lunch one day"

- We also spent a lot of effort just seeking to overcome the natural man inside of us. It's soooo easy to be out at 8 o'clock with nothing to do and just say "okay let's go home. It's close enough that we won't be wasting too much time." But we allllll know where rationalizations come from. It's hard, but with God's help and the help of Christ, we've set some goals to use our time as best we can! It'll be rough, but it all comes back to that faith and showing Christ that we're willing. It's been extremely humbling, but I love it!:)

- There have been a few people this week where we've just done such a terrible job of sharing the gospel but somehow still end up with their numbers. It's been a testimony for me of how this is truly Christ's work! It's not at all about what we do or what we even feel like we're good at doing, but all about a willingness to just try. MAN HAS IT BEEN A WEEK ABOUT FAITH!

- Striving to understand studies and how I can do them better. I spent a lot of time this week praying and seeking to have better studies because I feel like mine have just been really bad. After studying a little in preach my gospel chapter two and D&C 11:21

"21 Seek not to declare my word, but first seek to obtain my word, and then shall your tongue be loosed; then, if you desire, you shall have my Spirit and my word, yea, the power of God unto the convincing of men."

and D&C 84:85

"85 Neither take ye thought beforehand what ye shall say; but treasure up in your minds continually the words of life, and it shall be given you in the very hour that portion that shall be meted unto every man."s

I've come down to this!: effective studies must begin with prayer, during the which we seek 1) the companionship of the Holy Ghost and 2) humility. During studies, we need to be studying for a specific reason (a question in mind for example) and also take time to ponder on what we read. Then comes the most important step...application! And sincerely seeking to change through Christ. It's been getting better, and during studies, I've honestly felt better prepared to teach:)

All in all, it's been a great week! Forgot to mention it, but I Skyped as well


and I just have to say how much I love my family! Especially my mum! Happy Mother's Day to you once again☺

Hope y'all make it a great week!

Che la gloria sia sempre a Dio

Anziano Hansen

No comments:

Post a Comment