Monday, July 11, 2016

Goodbyes and new beginnings

Well it's come down to this. We had transfer calls this week, and I'm staying! Anziano Cowden, on the other hand, is headed to Palermo! He's going to be with Anziano Ridd, one of the anziani from my MTC district. Anziano Martin will be my new companion, and I'll either meet him on Wednesday or Thursday. One goodbye. One new companion. It's sad, but I'm really looking forward to this next transfer.

Anyways! Besides that, nothing much has gone on this week. We did have a "groundbreaking" on Saturday for a new chapel that will be...renovated? We're not building a new building. We're just taking an old building and fixing it up. Not entirely sure if it was a proper ground breaking, but it was good nonetheless! President Pickerd and his wife came, and we got to talk to them for a little while, which was awesome. I really love the Pickerds! I do miss the Waddoups, but I know that Heavenly Father has called this man to lead this mission for this period of time, and I know he'll make great things happen, just as president Pickerd made great things happen. I really feel like Italy is just holding its breath before the church really starts to grow here. It's an awesome feeling, and it's an exciting time to be in Italy!

Pres. & Sis. Pickerd, Anziani Cowden e Hansen
"P.S. I didn't meant to be posing like a girl no hate" ;)

On Sunday we also went to see Massimo and Anabel, the two newest converts in this area.

Anziani Cowden e Hansen con Massimo e Anabel

They haven't been able to come to church for a few weeks because they're both working, so we fasted with them on Saturday into Sunday in the hopes that they'd either find new jobs or find a way to come to church. After the fast, we went to Giulianova

Source: http://w0.fast-meteo.com/locationmaps/Giulianova.8.gif

to meet with them and eat lunch together. I REALLY love them. They're awesome! They're from Venezuela, so we ate arepas

Source: http://picapica.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/53.jpg

(please don't hate me if I spelled it wrong) and the best fried chicken I've ever eaten! 

I want to say Anziano Hansen ate this (minus the fried chicken in the photo) 
with Massimo and Anabel. :)

They're such cool people, and they really love the church. It's hard for them in Italy, and they actually want to move to Argentina in a few months. But while they're here, missionaries will definitely be visiting them!

Sunday was a realllly weird day though. First, Anziano Cowden said goodbye to all the members and gave his last testimony in Pescara. It's weird that he's leaving. It really doesn't feel like we've been
here that long, but it's already been almost three months.

Friday night - Pizza night. 

Secondly, while we were on the bus to the train station for the bus to Giulianova, a fight broke out between an African and an Italian. Don't know why it started, but it was sketchy, and the bus driver just kept going. Everyone was shouting at him and he eventually stopped and they got off the bus and kept fighting, then got back on, then off, then on again. That time they got on towards the front and that's where I was, and uh, I didn't really want to accidentally get punched in the face, so I got off...aaannnddd so did everyone else. The cops showed up eventually and we just crossed the street to watch it all from a distance and wait for the bus to pass to Giulianova. Thirdly, we missed our train back from Giulianova to Montesilvano. There wouldn't be another one for an hour and a half, but I'm pretty sure Heavenly Father meant for us to miss the train, because we basically saved someone's life. We were just sitting there and a man from Senegal a few feet away lying down on a different bench started talking to us. Turns out, he was sick, and he'd been on that bench for a few hours waiting for help. He literally looked like he was inches from dying. It was also super hot outside, and he didn't have any water, so we bought him some. He'd called an ambulance awhile ago, but nothing showed up. We called though and they eventually showed up to take him to the hospital. Yup. Sunday was weird.

Other than that, we've just been doing a ton of finding. We actually don't have any investigators right now, but we have a few less actives, a couple members, and some awesome potentials that we work
with. It is difficult though when we go out day after day trying to find people to teach, but no one wants to listen. It's also really hard to not feel like I'm doing something wrong, to feel like I'm not
good enough, to feel like I'm failing because there's no visible evidence of people drawing nearer to Christ. I read something this past week though that blew my mind.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10. Paul, at this time, is talking about a weakness he had and how he sought the help of the Lord. Here's what the scriptures say.

"And he (Christ) said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

"Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."

I thought a lot about the phrase "my strength is made perfect in weakness." I wondered how it's possible for him to be strongest when we are at our weakest. Why is it possible? How does it work? And while I don't know everything about this or how to explain my thoughts, but I realized that when we rely on Christ, our weaknesses become strengths. But first, like Paul, we must admit we are weak. That's something I struggle with. I hate admitting it. And yes, that's because I'm prideful. I don't like feeling incapable. I don't like that my imperfections are so blatantly obvious. But it's the humble
that the atonement and Christ have the greatest effect on. The words of a hymn answer this perfectly for me.

"Be thou humble in thy weakness, and the Lord thy God shall lead thee,
Shall lead thee by the hand and give thee answer to thy prayers.
Be thou humble in thy pleading, and the Lord thy God shall bless thee,
Shall bless thee with a sweet and calm assurance that he cares.
Be thou humble in thy calling, and the Lord thy God shall teach thee
To serve his children gladly with a pure and gentle love.
Be thou humble in thy longing, and the Lord thy God shall take thee,
Shall take thee home at last to ever dwell with him above."


Humility is the first. When we are humble in our weaknesses, Christ can work not just through is, but WITH us. His strength is made perfect in our weakness because when we are weak, his atonement can bear us up and He can take control of our lives. And when He is in control, WE become strong. We of ourselves cannot be strong on our own. We all have feeble knees and hands that hang low. And that's okay. But there has been and forever will be someone to lift us up. Yes I am struggling, weak, imperfect, prideful and at times lost. These things are a natural part of me, and while I work on becoming better, I will rely on the person who paid the price of perfection so I wouldn't have to. Through Him, with Him, by Him and because of Him, we can be strong despite our shortcomings. How great is that?

Anyways, there's not much else to write about, but here's some pictures to enjoy! Have a good week!

May the glory ever be to God

Anziano Hansen

No comments:

Post a Comment